9.04.2009

first month...

Things are pretty good. I live in a spacious home on the edge of a decent village with an enjoyable family. My host mom and sister sell fruit at the bazaar. My mom also teaches Chemistry. Her street dog followed us all the way to the bazaar (25 minute walk) and knows its way back alone. It's been fun developing my Kazakh language skills – we laugh a lot from the limitations. I have an amazing view of the mountains from my bedroom and stars are far more visible here. The outdoor toilet (hole) isn't too bad and I'm happy to say that the food is quite varied and surprisingly nutritious here – much is from our garden. I hear cows, roosters, and dogs at night. Truthfully, you all could do this. Living here is probably very similar to living in rural Alabama. I walk 30 minutes to school through a dusty route with a couple peers each morning and usually visit other friends' families, go for a walk, or watch KZ TV in the evening. I take a bucket bath in a steam room once a week, wash my hair every few days, and hang my laundry on a clothesline. I've been asked a few times if I would bring a Kazakh girl home to marry and one man even jokingly asked if I'd take him to marry (if only he knew). Some people think it's really funny to see someone from as far as America, while some could care less. I ate with 30 people recently and was cut a piece of sheep's nose (and pretended to eat it). I also tried fermented horse milk – tasted like a mix of wine, milk, and lime juice (not my flavor). At some dinners, people pull out their dombra guitar and sing beautiful folk songs after eating. There are a few people I'm compatible with and have fun hangin with. For the next couple months I will learn Kazakh language, observe children's English classes, help prepare some lessons, and dream of Cheetos, safe streets, and green curry in the evening. My permanent village will be revealed in early October. 

5 comments:

  1. Kristin Lewis9/04/2009

    Your handsome. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you so unbelieveably much at work! I'm glad you're adjusting and that things aren't too shabby! Also, fermented horse milk sounds terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte9/10/2009

    Andrewwww!! I am so happy to hear from you! Sounds like things are going very well. That is great! I really enjoyed reading everything you have been going through. If I had money I would totally go see you. Also glad to hear that you have made some friends (figured that would not be hard for you, who would not like you). Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/10/2010

    Hey!!! My name is Aibek. I'm from Aktobe. Do u mind meeting with sociable and friendly guy? Write to me then. my mail Aibek-lp90

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5/10/2010

    sorry, Aibek-lp90@mail.ru
    I want to be an interpreter of English so I will be happy to have Native speakers...Write to me everybody

    ReplyDelete