9.23.2009

late September

I finally started teaching. It hasn't been a complete disaster and the kids are so adorable. They're pretty excited to learn (or at least learn in a new way). I think I might have fun with this job.

I recently had to send out a letter, but the line was super long. This one excited little student insisted I return to the post office (I thought he knew something I didn't about the system). So he led me back and took me to the front of the line and announced I was American and somehow thought that would be effective. It was so extremely embarrassing and I immediately escaped after I caught onto his plan and heard the grumbling of the crowd. However, the next time I went to the post office a middle-aged worker passed me a strip of paper with “you're eyes are beautiful” written in Kazakh. Who does that?

Two students were excited to talk to me about America, but were most interested in discussing Arnold Schwarzenegger and Van Diesel. It was a short conversation. A few day later some other kids that I've only seen once gave me a red karate belt and a bronze rooster figurine as a gift. I simply don't know why.

Throughout Ramadan here there have been two rituals I've liked: kids going door-to-door one night reciting a super long prayer and receiving lots of candy, fruit, cookies, and even money. The second ritual everyone stayed up all night (they're supposed to pray and read the Quran but I think they ended up watching the TV coverage of it) until 6am the next morning. Halloween could be even better if money was given out and we all stayed up all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment