12.05.2009

new place...



Video: My roommate playing the dombra.
Pics: My new room, kitchen, and my roommates.
So...after a few weeks of being uncomfortable in my home, I decided to find a new family. I now live in a 3rd floor apartment with a young couple who work at my school: Gulzira is an English teacher and Meirambai is a military teacher. I have a cute room that overlooks the Kazakhstani steppe and has a balcony. I use the cold balcony as my fridge and as my clothes dryer. The situation is ideal because I'm treated like a roommate and not a child. She'll be showing me soon how to make bread from scratch.
A few nights ago I went out with 6 male teachers. It was the dude-iest night of my life - hilarious. Two nights later I went out dancing with 6 female teachers and it was really fun. There isn't that awkward inhibition with dancing that I usually see back at home. The crowd doesn't often see people dance like me (stupid style), so I was kinda a hit for a night. And every guy I meet for some reason asks me to go with them to a “women sauna”. Weird. Anyway, I'm finally starting to hang out with people my age. And next month I plan on starting a Discussion/Debate Club with my 11th graders where we talk about juicy topics, so that could be really fun.
And remember when I never waited to hear your “goodbye” before hanging up the phone? It was quick (3-2-1- bye). Well, here, I only ever hear an “OK” before people hang up. It's even quicker and without a “goodbye”, so be prepared to witness poorer phone etiquette when I return.
Lastly, I want to say that the mayo here is like twice as fatty. Mark was right. I'm gonna be addicted (at least I'll maybe gain a few more pounds now). . . .

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/06/2009

    i love gulzira's song what is it is it her own or is it famous i love it... what is your favorite brand of mayonnaise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the hell is a "women's sauna"?
    & I'm really not excited about this Ok ::pause:: Hangup business. It causes me slight anxiety.

    Jenny A.

    ReplyDelete