12.31.2009

new years






Video: Me at the New Year's party, dombra included.
Pics: New Year's party.

The Kazakh celebration held at my apartment was kinda hilarious. The dudes and I took multiple shots of whiskey while the gals talked in the kitchen. After eating beshbarmak and at each interval of the night, people passed the time by looking through photo albums (at a party).

I showed them pictures of America and one guy asked, “Why is everyone's noses big?” I responded, “No, no, no, that's just me and my family.”

Then all of a sudden, after a peaceful and restful photo browsing session, they blast music in the apartment and all gather in a circle in the hallway and dance. I was caught off guard. A pair of guys danced together in the center, while people clapped and danced, too. My host/roommate was dancing while wearing her apron.

There were multiple toasts given. No one ever finishes a drink, alcoholic or not, because that implies you don't want to accept anymore beverages (generosity) from the host. We had American rap playing in the background.

Around 2am the dudes were getting into some conflict outside with other guys while the girls turned off the lights of the apartment to peek out the window and listen. When the guys returned the women kept silent about the tomfoolery. It was another example of how immature guys are and the patience, talent, and strength women have here. We went to bed at 3:30am.

The next morning at 9am I got a call saying I must see the mayor. So I went to a New Year's children's performance and when I was leaving to get my coat from some office, I walked in on a circle of the mayor and officials making toasts with champagne. So of course I had to join for a bit and then depart.

1 comment: